Quilting to me:

"In this crazy fast and furious world we live in I believe it is our responsibility to take time for ourselves, even if it is once a week or month. Doing what you love is one way slow the craziness down. I like to think I'm doing what I love."

Friday, February 1, 2013

2013 Mystery Quilt

2013
Mystery Quilt
 
Lets get started on this mystery.  Everyone
loves a mystery so here's one that delivers a
quilt at the end.  Each month I will
be posting a mystery block.  The mystery is
that you control what fabric to use.
At the end of this Mystery I will post my
Mystery Quilt and look forward to seeing all
of yours.  You will go into a drawing
for a Riley Blake Fat Quarter Bundle
if you post your finished Mystery Quilt at
the end of this Mystery.
Here is the first Mystery, good luck.
 
This is our first block.
You will be making 2 of these
blocks, and making them identical.
2 fabrics are needed, 1 light and 1 dark
The following will make 1 block, you
need to make 2 blocks.
 
Cut from light fabric:
6  -  3 7/8" x 3 7/8" squares
2  -  3 1/2" x 3 1/2" squares
 
Cut from dark fabrics:
6  -  3 7/8" x 3 7/8" squares
2  -  3 1/2" x 3 1/2" squares
1  -  9 1/2" square
 
Using the 3 7/8" squares take 1 light and
1 dark with right sides together draw a line
diagonally and stitch on either side of the line.
Then cut on the line to make 2 half square
triangles.  Repeat with the rest of  3 7/8" squares.
You need a total of 12.
Follow the diagram to lay out you pieces,
then sew them together to make your block.
You will needed 2 of these blocks.
Your block should measure
15 1/2" x 15 1/2"
 
Have fun and I'll have another block
the first of March.


9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun project. I have never done a Mystery Quilt project before, so am looking forward to doing this one. How many months will it last?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, The Mystery Quilt will lt 7 months.
      Hope you enjoy the msytery.

      Carol

      Delete
  2. Approximately how much of each fabric will be required to complete the quilt? Is it one suitable to use similar but different fabrics each month? I've never done a mystery quilt before, and would like to use stash fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, It can be a scrappy quilt or from a group. I have 10 fat quarter from one group of fabrics for mine. I'll will being giving directions in light and dark fabrics. Each block will need a lht and a dark fabric. Hope this answers you question. Carol

      Delete
    2. Nancy I also have 1/2 yard of a light fabric that I am using with my 10 fat quarters. Sorry I left that out before.
      Carol

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Have fun, Lisa. Can't wait to see every one's quilt at e end.

      Delete
  4. I'm in too!! This will be fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you come with Connie.
      Have fun.............
      Carol

      Delete