Quilting to me:

"In this crazy fast and furious world we live in I believe it is our responsibility to take time for ourselves, even if it is once a week or month. Doing what you love is one way slow the craziness down. I like to think I'm doing what I love."

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Underground Railroad ......Day 2.......Deciding on fabrics

Today lets talk about fabrics.......

If your going by the book it calls for 4 background fabrics and 13 medium and dark fabrics.
This will make 15 - 12" blocks.  Now if doing a scrappy quilt you could use even more prints.

I have been collecting Navy and Chedder fabrics for about 6 or 7 years now and have decided
to use them for this quilt project.  I have plenty of Chedder, but might have to add a couple more navy's. 


For the background colors, about 3/4yd to 1yd of 4 prints. You can also do the background in just one print if you like,  it will take about 3yds to 4yds to do it that way.  Fat quarters are great for the 13 mediums and dark prints.  My theory when doing this type of quilt a couple of extra fat quarters can give you more options. If doing a scrappy quilt you could just pick your fabrics each time you have a block to do.  Your welcome to ask me any question you have about your fabrics. I would love to see what you decide on. You can download your pictures so I can see. 

Other fabric needed:

1 1/2yds for sashing
1/4yd     for cornerstones
1 1/2yds for border
1yd.       for binding

I can't wait to get started with these fabrics I have chosen.  

Have fun!

Join me tomorrow for more of " getting  started",

No comments:

Post a Comment